Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Teabagging

First, Rachel Maddow is awesome.



But the people who are actually planning these events? What sort of a sense of history do they have? I admit, American history isn't something I've studied since I was 16 or so, but my memory was that the dodge with the Boston Tea Party was that if they threw the tea off the boat, they couldn't be made to buy it. By that token, all these conservative weirdos should be throwing their paychecks into the ocean so they can't pay taxes on them.

That would be something I'd be willing to watch and laugh at.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I was at the supermarket the other day, and this crazy woman was trying to get the checker to participate in a teabag protest. She (the crazy person) said that she had already sent a tea bag to the white house, and she wanted the checker to do the same, as well as go to a tea party in Annapolis (but not Washington for some reason - I didn't feel the need to ask about the flaw in her logic), because apparently, just anything involving tea, even drinking it, is a tax protest. Even though, as you point out, the real Boston Tea Party prevented the people of Boston from drinking tea. Also, it was weird because it was in the wholefoods (which already attracts liberals) in the (some would say) oppressively liberal northwest corner of Baltimore, so I'm not sure where this crazy, conservative "we shouldn't have taxes that will pay for social programs" woman who is "teabagging" the white house came from. One of the mysteries of the world, I guess.