Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I am a BAD PERSON

But I can't help it.

I have a student who is hearing impaired, and it's driving me completely crazy. I know that she's not trying to annoy me. I know that she is entitled to learn just like everyone else. I know that she can't help not being able to hear. I feel an immense amount of compassion for her. But . . .

Well really, my objection is that I have no training to deal with this situation (and it is a situation; she can't understand my normal speaking voice). But it puts me under an immense amount of pressure trying to balance her needs and the needs of the 16 other students.

Also to do with not hearing things and how I am a bad person, this amused me greatly. We could use it as a jumping off point for a discussion of censorship, but we could also just laugh hysterically.

5 comments:

Amanda G. said...

Does she sign or lip read? In either event, there are interpreter services that should be available to her, and paid for by your school.

Would it be possible for you to have someone in the class take notes for her? or give her a copy of your notes? I'm not sure how your course is set up -- is it discussion, or...

from your university website (if this is where you are teaching this summer):
Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action or the Disabilities Coordinator for information on all services available to the disabled, such as interpreter services for the deaf; Braille or taped materials, readers or writers, etc. Any office or department of the University can also contact the Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action for specific information on services available to the disabled.

GOOD LUCK!

Amanda G. said...

PS - you are not a bad person!

Beth said...

sadly, it's test prep, not school. So we have no services . . .

Amanda G. said...

dude, that sucks. You might call DeafWay and see if you can talk to someone about strategies to use to make class more beneficial for this student (I don't know if they can help, but it would be a good jumping off point), or talk to the student about what she has done in other classes (perhaps a better jumping off point). I'm sure you are not the first person for whom it is difficult for her to understand. Beyond giving her notes (or a buddy to do so), I don't know what to suggest.

Sorry :(

Nell said...

That video makes me kinda sad. Poor Count.

BTW, SOMEONE won't be my friend on Facebook, I won't name name's (froggy!). :(