Monday, June 16, 2008

I want to be a Luddite . . . but I can't

I went to the library this morning. I had emailed myself a list of books and articles that I needed to get. The moment I walked into the library, the internet went down, and I realized that you can't do anything in a library without internet. They've removed the card catalogue. I didn't have my list of books, and there was no way to get it back. There's a Frog and Toad story by Arnold Lobel that seemed strangely apropos.

So I've decided that I'm against technology, because it raises expectations and then just lets you down.*

* I realize that there's some irony in the manner of my complaint.

2 comments:

Scarlet Panda said...

I love the card catalog. I miss it.

I understand why some paper things are eliminated, because they're really wasteful. At my work, every time the sentencing guidelines or federal criminal rules or whatever gets an update, every person in my office receives the most current version in paper form. That means that someone gives each of us a new 1500-page book that will be current only for a few months to a year. We then each place the book on a big pile of them we've gotten previously. I don't think any of us has ever opened any of these books, because we just use the online versions. It's a massive waste of paper and money.

But the card catalog is just little cards, and they should keep it.

Nell said...

I understand the charm of card catalogs, but having worked in a situation where one had to accurately catalog and keep track of thousands of objects, the 'little card' system is wholly inadequate.