Sunday, August 24, 2008

Elitist? Moi?

I'm pretty certain that I'm an elitist. I am amused by the quaint (or, as I like to say, wrong) speech patterns of the less educated. The misplaced apostrophe on a certain bar's credit card receipt BOTHERS ME. I assume that everyone, if they were clever enough, would want to get an advanced degree. I have been known to pity my mechanic/plumber/electrician/hairdresser for their lot in life.

But this morning, I managed to cut Leo's hair, and it doesn't look at all bad!!! I mean, it even looks good (if only I can persuade him to comb it). I took clippers and scissors and removed fuzz from his head in a mostly symmetrical pattern so that he can go off to his lawyering looking like a grown-up, not an ultra-cool indie rocker. I wonder if the thrill goes away. I never feel that accomplished talking to a student. Are useful skills actually gratifying? I wonder.

3 comments:

heumann said...

"go off to his lawyering looking like a grown-up, not an ultra-cool indie rocker."

This makes me so sad. For one, Leo looking like a lawyer makes baby Josh cry.

Secondly, I believe that the legal profession needs more ultra-cool indie rockers, and I won't rest until I see a Thom Yorkeeee look-alike holding forth in front of the Supreme Court.

And finally: http://wondermark.com/comics/434.gif

Leo said...

I assure you that I have never looked like an ultra-cool indie rocker.

Beth said...

You had the tousled hair going. You totally did. It was that "I can't be bothered to comb my hair" thing that they take hours to achieve, only you managed it by just not being bothered to comb your hair.